Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Tonight I Just Need My Guitar 8/6/09

Needs and desires. We all have them, we all want something. What is the significance? What is the difference? A need is something that we require while a desire is wish, a longing or a craving. Jimmy hits it perfectly when he says Need borders on Desire. Can we get through life without the shiny electronic gadgets that we have permanently attached to our hands now? The desires of the physical and the desires of the emotional vary. We say we need to be loved, we need to have this. We need someone. But do we really need?

Gulf coast nights, flounder lights I’m back on the Eastern shore With my history of wrecks I think It’s time to check The crab trap of life once more Need is a relative thing these days It borders on desire The high tech world is full of bright shiny things We think that we really require Sometimes more than others You see who and what and where You are I’m a one-man band with no Immediate plans Tonight I just need my guitar Don’t need to feel important or famous No limos or my little Nash car One lucky man With my feet in the sand Tonight I just need my guitar

The crab trap of life is that we do need someone. We do feel the urgency to fill those needs we have, in turn, fueling our desires. In our modern society, we have labeled people as independent. A simple code for lonely. We all need to be with someone. Grant it, we may need to be with someone for different reasons but we Need companionship. We all search for that advice from a friend, that pick me up when you are having a bad day. We need someone to communicate with.

Our desires though take over. What we desire can become confused with what we need. We long for that special person. The "what if" or "grass is greener" scenarios start to creep in our minds. The men and women who sailed the seas long ago, they had desires too. They longed for things like treasure and adventure. Pirates have always been romanticized or villianized. We forget that they were human beings. with the same emotions as we have. They also had desires.
It was that desire that drove them to their path of life. Their desires that they profited from

We go through life thinking that we need a certain person in it when in actuality we desire them. There isn't really much of a difference. I have felt that desire to have a certain person in my life. But it wasn't until this summer that I felt that desire cross back into need. I have learned that the treasure is needed, not desired. It is needed to fill a void, yes it will make me richer which is desirable but that isn't the reason I search. I sat last night listening to two young and beautiful bartenders talk about the men in their lives. "He's shorter than me but his parents are loaded." The checklist is balanced. The desirability of this poor sucker is increased because his parents have money. Nothing to do with him. There is no need! We all have a person, a friend, a loved one, or that person we're in love with who we find that we need.

The legendary pirates all desired more riches. They all desired the adventure. Their romance was with the sea and the thrill of the hunt. They did however have a need. Like them, I have a need, a need for her in my life. The desire is there to go on this adventure and bring back the treasure; Going to whatever lengths need be to succeed in this quest. The desirability she holds is stronger than any monetary value and would make me richer than any other pirate.

Booty Count: 21 shells, 2 wet, tired pups
Total Booty: 63 shells

No comments:

Post a Comment