Tuesday, August 4, 2009

A Pirate Looks at 40: Life Lessons from the Pirate and Poet

As I was walking along the beach today, the idea hit me for this project. Having felt lost for so many years, I have decided to blog about what I know best: the songs of Jimmy Buffett, the beach, pirates, poets and all the experiences in my life that have taken me from the path to happiness. I know who cares. That's the exact point. A pirate: a person who robs or commits illegal violence at sea or on the shores of the sea. Although the definition doesn't fit the romantic idea of bein a swashbuckling buccaneer on the high seas, the idea of searching for buried treasure is. I too have a search for such a treasure. My map is a bit worn, confusing and hard to follow but I am convinced I will find that buried treasure under the big x.

The first entry in this series I picked my favorite song. The song that inspired the idea. A pirate looks at 40. In the keys, the rumor is this song was written about a famous bartender named Pete. But the lyrics ring true for my life.
Mother, mother ocean. I've heard you call. Wanted to sail upon your waters since I was three feet tall. You've seen it all. You see it all. I've watched the men who rode you Switched from sails to steam And in your belly you hold the treasures Few have ever seen. Most of them dreams. Most of them dreams.Yes I am a pirate. Two hundred years too late. The cannons don't thunderThere's nothing to plunderI'm an over forty victim of fate Arriving too late Arriving too late I've done a bit of smuggling And I've run my share of grass I've made enough money to buy Miami But I pissed it away so fast N ever meant to last Never meant to last Well I have been drunk now for over two weeks I past and I've rallied and I sprung a few leaks But I've got to stop wishin' got to go fishin'I'm down to rock bottom againWith just a few friends Just a few friends I go for younger women(Trouuubllee) Lived with several awhile But I've ran them away Hell, they come back some dayAnd still can manage to smile Just takes a while It just takes a while Mother mother ocean After all these years I've found This occupational hazard being My occupations just not around Feels like I've drown Gonna get drunk up town Feels like I've drown gonna get drunk up town.
I too have feel like I have drown. The past several weeks, I have felt like I have been drunk. The time for wishing is over because I am down to rock bottem again. Treasure I am sailing for is what everyone wants. Happiness. To be with that one person, who takes your breathe away. Like most pirates, I know what the treasure chest holds. I know what or who I am searching for. It is just a matter of the sea to guide me to her. Yes her. The treasure my mad will lead me to is the one who will take my breathe away. She is real, not some fairy tale character that I have made up. I know her. This will be my quest along the way plundering and pillaging words and wisdom from my life.

Total take from today's journey 27 shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment