Sunday, August 23, 2009

It's My Job 8/23/09

To my faithful followers I apologize but the occupation that pays the bills has taken over again, at least for this past weekend. So in honor of the school year starting back up, I picked this song.

In the middle of late last night I was sittin’ on a curb I didn’t know what about but I was feeling quite disturbed A street sweeper came whistlin’ by He was bouncin’ every step It seemed strange how good he felt So I asked him while he swept He said "It’s my job to be cleaning up this mess And that’s enough reason to go for me It’s my job to be better than the rest And that makes the day for me "Got an uncle who owns a bank he’s a self made millionaire He never had anyone to love never had no one to care He always to seemed kind of sad to me So I asked him why that was And he told me it’s because in my contract there’s a clause That says "It’s my job to worried half to death And that’s the thing people respect in me It’s a job but without it I’d be less Than what I expect from me "I’ve been lazy most all of my life Writing songs and sleeping late Any manual labor I’ve done purely by mistake If street sweepers can smile then I’ve got no right to feel upset But sometimes I still forget Till the lights go on and the stage is set And the song hits home and you feel that sweatIt’s my job to be different than the rest and that’s enough reason to go for me It’s my job to be better than the best and that’s a tough break for me It’s my job to be cleaning up this mess and that’s enough reason to go for me It’s my job to be better than the best and that makes the day for me

Yes, me mateys, it is time once again to embark on that noblest of professions, corrupting the the minds of America's youth. It is this night of the year that is both the longest and shortest in my mind. In the past fifteen years, I have never slept well the night before school started. I think this is in a large part to the fact That Summer is officially over.

My pirating has been put on hiatis and my boat has been anchored in port. Soon I will be longing to get out on the seas again and continue my search for that treasure. But the song is right. It's my job and that is what I have to do. I must try and no matter how many times I get let down by ignorance, see that there is a young person to impart wisdom on. There are the days I feel like I am cleaning up the mess that their parents should be doing. And once in a blue moon, like the sailor seeing the green flash, there will be a flash go off in a child and it is beautiful.

Sure, I would love to be on the seas at the helm of a magnificent vessel, sails unfurled, the wind at my back. Racing against the next storm to find another clue on my map. The dream lives on.

1 comment:

  1. This makes my heart smile... " And once in a blue moon, like the sailor seeing the green flash, there will be a flash go off in a child and it is beautiful".

    ReplyDelete