Thursday, August 6, 2009

My window on the world 8/7/09

My Window on The World 8/7/09

Storms may have kept me from my walk along the ocean today and naysayers might have ruined my mood today but my search for the treasure still continues. Even the most ruthless buccaneers encountered setbacks but they didn't lose track of their prize and neither will I. Rocky seas are par for the journey.

A broken promise I kept too long. A greasy shade and a curtain drawn. A broken glass and a heart gone wrong. That's my window on the world. A cup of coffee in a shaky hand . Wakin' up in a foreign land. Tryin' to act like I got somethin' planned. That's my window on the world . hat's my window on the world. Could you stand a little closer, girl Don't let mama cut those curls. That's my window on the world. In broad daylight that circus tent, Pulled up stakes I don't know where it went. A close dark room with a busted vent. That's my window on the world. I think about you when I'm countin' sheep. I think about you, then I can't sleep. I think the ocean is just so deep. That's my window on the world. That's my window on the world Could you stand a little closer, girl The queen of Sheba meets the duke of earle That's my window on the world Down on Indiana Avenue Wes and Jimmy, man they played the blues I guess they were only passin' through That's my window on the world.

What it must have been like, to sit under the stars on the deck of a schooner, to see clearly when your world is completely in ruins. If Captain Samual Bellamy's intention in sailing northwards was to meet again with his lover Maria Hallett, he never accomplished his goal. The Whydah was swept up in a violent storm off Cape Cod and was driven onto the beach of what is now Wellfeet, MA, where she quickly sank, taking Bellamy and most of his 146-man crew with her. What was Black Sam thinking? My guess it was about his love Maria. He probably couldn't sleep he was thinking of her so much. Risking the lives of his crew, he must have firmly believed in the love of a woman. His ultimate treasures being love and X marking the spot where his love's heart was. Ultimately sacrificing his life to be with her.

I think about her when I am counting sheep, I think about her and then I can't sleep. I think the ocean is just so deep. This line brings up exactly what I am feeling. But what I think the underlying message is that you can only think about what you desire, what you need, for so long. Sooner or later you have to realize that the "ocean is just so deep" and you can't waste any more time thinking about it. That even though you are absolutely positive about how you feel, sailing full into the stormy seas may not be the best option. It might be better to anchor down and wait out the storm, instead of sailing straight into it.

Unlike Black Sam, who ultimately died pursuing his treasure, although valiantly following his heart, I will not sail head on to the storm. I may not be with her and I may not feel like I am living, I am only existing until I can hold her in my arms again. No broken promises, no shaky hands but my heart has definitely gone wrong. I can only hope that the sea can guide me back. That my ship weathers the storm. Is it safe to anchor down with a hurricane coming? Or is it better to sail straight into the eye of the storm. Looking through the porthole, I am waiting for the answer to come to me.

When someone is so willing to, like Black Sam, sail into a deadly storm to get to the one he loves, surely that must account for something. I think that my window has been shut far too long. It's time to open it and realize that sometimes fate doesn't want the treasure to be found. You just have to tell fate to kiss off and go full steam ahead. And that is my window on the world.

Booty Count: 1 Broken Heart, lots of lies
Total Booty: 63 shells

No comments:

Post a Comment